I’ve been working with and learning about interpersonal conflict and communication for over a decade. During this period, I’ve worked across most of the sectors of this practice. This includes in mediation, facilitation and conciliation (in community, family, corporate, private-government partnerships, and regulatory contexts); community consultancy and major social change projects; developing and running training and workshop; and providing coaching and professional supervision.
Through Reframe Aotearoa, I maintain a private mediation, facilitation and coaching/supervision practice, and a range of consulting and training/development services. I also contract as a mediator and family dispute resolution provider to a number of different agencies. The rest of the time, I’m a father, neighbour, gardener, potter, and a volunteer in the arts and community sectors.
My work with Reframe Aotearoa
In late 2017, I founded Reframe Aotearoa as a response to the need I saw for support and skills for communication, conflict and connectedness across Aotearoa, New Zealand. Since then, I’ve worked with a range of stakeholders – from community groups, local and central government, and major agencies and businesses – to support them to shift towards a culture and way of being that invites connectedness over conflict.
The most recent project I’ve run through Reframe Aotearoa is Wellington Conversations – Kia whai take i Pōneke – a city-wide pilot project run in partnership with Wellington City Council, starting in Sept 2019. The aim of Wellington Conversations was to support people who live near other to build better relationships through good conversations – facilitating neighbourhood and community connection in regular, free events that take place in safe, supported environments. To learn more, visit: wellingtonconversations.nz/
Professional memberships and accreditation
- Professional member of Resolution Institute (NZ)
- Accredited mediator since 2013
- Family Dispute Resolution provider
- Member of Restorative Practices Aotearoa (RPA)
- Professional supervisor (I primarily supervise people who facilitate – like facilitators, mediators, and coaches)
Some of my studies
- Professional supervision in the workplace, Weltec
- Certificate in Te Pūtaketanga o te reo Māori (Level 4), Te Wānanga o Aotearoa
- Master of International Studies (Peace and Conflict Resolution), The University of Queensland
- Post-graduate Certificate in Mediation and Conflict Resolution, The University of Queensland
- Bachelor of Arts (Peace and Conflict Studies), The University of Queensland